Massachusetts in Winter
Celebrate, shop and rejuvenate in Massachusetts this Winter
For immediate release: 20th November 2017
In 1659 Christmas was banned in Massachusetts. Today, winter is a special time for the state and Christmas celebrations are thoroughly encouraged. It is also the perfect time to get a good deal on accommodation - the leaf peepers are gone. Throughout this release find out what to do in Massachusetts this Christmas and throughout the winter season.
Winter events throughout Massachusetts
‘Popup’ outdoor skating rinks include:
· City Hall Plaza from Friday 24 November 2017. The Holiday Market at City Hall Plaza will run alongside the outdoor skating until 31 December 2017. The rink closes for the season at the end of February. http://cityhallplazaboston.com/skating-path/
· Frog Pond Ice Skating Rink opened on Tuesday 14 November 2017. https://bostonfrogpond.com/winter-programs/pricing-season-passes/
· Kendall Square Ice Skating Rink opens Friday 24 November 2017. On 9 December 2017 join their annual Holiday on Ice celebration – free admission all day and a free skating show at 2:00pm with world class professional skaters. http://paddleboston.com/skating/skating.php
This winter, SoWA (Boston’s own SoHo) hosts a special Winter Festival between 2 - 3 December 2017. Enjoy live ice sculpting, food trucks, holiday music, crafts and much more in this art and design district. http://www.sowaboston.com/sowa-winter-festival/
Boston Pops Holiday Season (5 – 31 December 2017). Find festive music in the world-famous Symphony Hall. www.bso.org
Boston Tea Party Re-enactment (16 December 2017). Join the Old South Meeting House and the Boston Tea Party Ships act out a moment that played a crucial part in Massachusetts’ history. http://bostonteapartyship.com/
14th Annual Boston’s Celtic Music Festival (18– 21 January 2017). The annual showcase of Celtic music and dance in Greater Boston. http://clubpassim.org/
Winterfest in Lowell, a festival happening this February (23-25). It usually takes place the week after Super Bowl to celebrate winter before it ends. Visitors will find Super Bowl competitions, human dog sled competitions, magic shows, ice skating, fireworks, sleigh rides and much more. facebook.com/lowellwinterfest
Winter sports to participate in
The East Coast state of Massachusetts may not have the highest mountains in the USA, but the abundance of snow, the variety of regional departures from the UK and the short transatlantic flight time from the UK to Boston - means it is perfect for those skiers and snowboarders who want conquerable slopes, manageable trails and a destination that is convenient to get to from the UK.
A selection of venues in Massachusetts offering skiing, snowboarding, and tubing:
Nashoba Valley, 79 Powers Road, Westford - New England’s largest snowtubing facility with four lifts, over 600 snow tubes and up to 16 lanes. www.skinashoba.com/
Wachusett, 499 Mountain Road, Princeton – There’s panoramic 360-degree views from the summit including a view of Boston’s skyline to the east. https://wachusett.com/
A selection of venues offering skiing and snowboarding:
Blue Hills, 4001 Washington Street, Canton – just 30mins for central Boston. https://wachusett.com/
Jiminy Peak, 37 Corey Road, Hancock - the only mountain resort in North America to generate its own energy using alternative wind power. http://jiminypeak.com/
Winter sports to watch
A Boston Celtics basketball game is the perfect addition to a weekend break in Boston. If Christmas is still unplanned, travel to Boston with MVP Travel for the Boston Celtics v Washington Wizards game on 25th December 2017. Visit www.mvptravel.co.uk or call 01904 40 33 55 to book. If a Celtics game doesn’t work - the Boston Bruins ice hockey team have games up until early April.
Shop in Massachusetts
Many Brits travel to Massachusetts for an American shopping experience. It is one of the more popular destinations as there is tax free shopping on all clothes and shoes up to $175, in a single purchase. With sales in January – now is the perfect time to plan a winter shopping trip.
From high-end, high-street, independent boutiques to children’s shopping brands there is a shop for everyone’s taste. Popular shopping locations include:
- Assembly Row offers a mixture of outlet shopping experiences within Boston. www.assemblyrow.com/
- Wrentham Village Premium Outlets which is just 50 minutes outside of Boston and features 170 outlets with many high-end brands at discounted prices. www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/wrentham-village
- Harvard Square is filled with boutiques and independent clothing, gift and jewellery stores. www.harvardsquare.com/
- Copley Place, a top luxury shopping centre in Boston. www.simon.com/mall/copley-place
- The Shops at The Prudential Center are popular for a high-end shopping experience. www.prudentialcenter.com/
- Newbury Street is where visitors will find designer boutiques, luxury brands and more. www.newbury-st.com/Boston/Shopping_and_Business_Directory
- Natick Mall is a great family shopping experience with over 250 stores including numerous children’s retailers – just 30 minutes from Boston. www.natickmall.com/en.html
Winter retreats in the Berkshires
In Lenox within the Berkshire Mountains, Canyon Ranch is a haven for a winter retreat where visitors can revitalise themselves in a Berkshires resort – find a spa, wellness programs, dining options and more. www.canyonranch.com/lenox/
Miraval, a high-end resort company, has purchased the Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort (another luxurious option in Lenox) and plans to renovate and enlarge the property with an expected grand re-opening as Miraval Lenox in 2018. The Resort will be fully operational during the renovations. Visitors to Miraval Lenox will find a historic hill top mansion resort, full serviced spa, fitness centre, 3 restaurants and more. www.miravallenox.com/
Named the #1 yoga retreat in North America by TimeOut, Kripalu Center is a non-profit educational organisation. Kripalu guests are committed to creating deeply fulfilling lives. They come to pursue personal growth, renew and revitalize, cultivate health, delve into spiritual practice, explore creative pursuits and develop professional skills. Rejuvenate this winter in the Berkshires, Massachusetts. https://kripalu.org/stay/accommodations
For more information on visiting Massachusetts go to www.massholiday.co.uk.
Issued by Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism’s UK office.